History Subject Leader: Lisa Arben
At Telford Junior School, history is a popular subject, which our children enjoy and our teachers are passionate about teaching. We recognise that studying history gives our children the opportunity to develop an understanding of why the world and its people are the way they are today, looking at the impact of past events. Additionally, it prompts our children to think critically and ask questions as they explore the diversity of human experience, past lives and societies. At Telford Junior School, our purpose, as teachers, is to extend our children’s knowledge, challenge their thinking and enhance their understanding not just of Britain but of the world around them too.
We teach our children to question the reliability of sources, encouraging them to be independent thinkers. We aim to not only equip our children with these vital skills, but also to help them gain a coherent knowledge and understanding of Britain’s past and that of the wider world. Local history is also important to us and our curriculum has been carefully planned to ensure children can experience and evaluate parts of the rich history of both Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick and Stratford-upon-Avon.
We believe that our children will be much better helped to develop as citizens with a respect for diversity, and tolerance for others' attitudes and beliefs, if they are also encouraged to understand and respect societies different from their own in time as well as place.
Implementation of our Aims
- History taught in year groups as part of a cross-curricular theme with links to other subjects, in particular, English, PSHE, DT and Art.
- Carefully planned lessons to ensure our children’s progression of skills and knowledge as they progress through the school.
- Annual whole-school celebration of Black History Month through assemblies, PSHE lessons and art work.
- Trips, visits and workshops to enrich our children’s learning.
- Bespoke outdoor time-line to support our children’s chronological understanding of particular topics and events in history and enable them to make links with the topics and events they have already studied.
We aim to ensure that our children at Telford Junior School are equipped with the historical skills and knowledge that will enable them to be ready for the curriculum in Key Stage 3 and for life as an adult in the wider world. Our children should leave us with a chronologically secure knowledge and understanding of British and world history. Also, we aim to equip children with skills and values that can be applied in all their learning, such as critical thinking and tolerance for others. We want our children's enthusiasm for history to encourage them to develop their skills and understanding in the future.